Monday, January 11, 2010

Christmas Present for a Teenager

It is difficult for me to find presents for teenagers that don't involve technology or require a bit more money than I want to spend. So I was tickled pink when I thought of a present for one teen that I could make with things I could buy at the dollar store. One of my best friend's son developed an expression (which I appropriated for my own use as an exclamation to the heavens when things fall). When I saw the skull in the splatter in the Indie Arts cartridge, I actually knew what I was going to make for my friend's son before I knew what I was going to make for her.

The picture above is a detail from the bottom of the plate (the skull is from Indie Art, the font is Doodletype and the Circles are from George and Basic Shapes). The glass below was an extra gift I made as an "easter egg" at the bottom of a glass. I used vinyl for the stencil and flipped the words since the glass is etched on the bottom of the plate.

To download the gravity set.gypsy file go here.

You'll need a Cricut and a Gypsy to use this file. To cut the file as is, you'll need Indie Art, Doodletype and George and Basic Shapes. If you don't have these cartridges, you can use it as a template to make your own files though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super fun... but your baby sis #3 needs a little clarification with this one. First off, is the plate etched, or does it have somekind of adhevise. Secondly, what do you mean by "easter egg."

Keep up the good work... your rocking the craft world :)

Ohhh Snap said...

lol Sorry it's Cricut speak. *Translating* I used my Cricut to cut a vinyl stencil which I put on the glass plate (can't be pyrex). After the stencil is put on the glass, I put a glass etching chemical on the plate which makes it "frosted". If you have a sandblaster you can also use that :D.

Easter egg is a video game reference, because the giftee is a big-time gamer. One of those little unexpected surprizes that you can find while playing. In this case, drink your beverage (chocolate milk is a favorite), see the design.

Thanks for the questions and the comments : )

Marie said...

I don't have a Gypsy. But I do have a Teenage son. this is a great Idea. I will have to see what I can do.

Brenda said...

WOW this is a perfect gift for a teenage boy!!! I am lovin; this!!!
hugs
Brenda

Audrey Frelx said...

I don't have a teenage son, but now I have an inspiration for my teenage nephew who has a birthday coming up in March -- tfs!

thezenofmaking said...

Looks great! A circut would really make my etching projects so much easier..