Tuesday, August 12, 2014

WOYWW 271

My desk has a clearing because I just took apart a failed moveable prototype, but lessons have been learned and the next one is sure to be a little more successful : D. All 5 projects made it to the fair, but the Doctor Who/Whoville mashup will be made another day. Ironically I ran out of time, so it was just a Tardis in the snow ornament. It's been a busy week, with lots of posts... I feel I might be making up for the 33 weeks I was without a useable camera.

I finally got around to making the prototype with my Eileen Fahleens (iron filings). It's ridiculously fun and I'll be making more of them. And a realllllly good seal for the filings seeing as they are very tiny and very heavy (they are made of iron lol). A stacked well of cardstock with an extra seal of glue or stickles does the trick nicely. The other secret is really good magnets, the cheap ones (that barely hang on to refrigerators) really don't move the iron filings at all.. It also works well as a message board if it's put in an easel. Fun and practical : D. The frame on this piece comes from the shaker card below.  I entered it in the Artful Times Kinetic Challenge. Kinetic cards, tooo much fun  : D.

 
This is the shaker card I sent to the fair. The paper is Anna Griffin. I'm making a conscious effort to use patterned paper. I have a four foot stack of it, time to start using it in earnest lol.

Head over to Julia's Stamping Ground to see more crafty spaces around the world.

18 comments:

Helen said...

Oh, wow, I love your iron filings card, what a great idea!! Glad you've had a productive week. Helen 3

jill said...

Happy woyww , I have a lot of paper to get through also , so I hope you get through yours quicker then I am. Some lovely cards you've shown us. Jill #10

fairy thoughts said...

Sounds like ypu really do need a time machine .... Good luck :-)
I am intrigued by the iron filing so will check that out later
Janet @2

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Oh, I remember playing with iron filings in science lessons at primary school. Using the magnet to make them move about was my favourite thing! Genius idea to use them on a card like that!
And I like your patterned paper card...very clever the way the inside is a perfect pattern repeat :-)
Hugs, LLJ 12 xx

Nikki said...

What a great idea to use iron filings for a card I use to love to get them from the beach as a kid one strong magnet and away you go :) Hugs Nikki 5

sandra de said...

Clever use of iron filings had no idea you could use them on a card. Sandra de @33

Jackie said...

Must say I live patterned paper especially Anna griffin, but don't use it as much as I should either!!!! I need to take a leaf out of your book and use it more!
Jackie 16

Gillian Pearce said...

Interesting use of iron filings. Surprised they stick and stay stuck on cards. Great idea!
Have a fun week
Gillian #34

Elizabeth said...

When I was experimenting with magnets and iron filings when I was at school - way back in the dark ages - I never anticipated this ... amazing! What a fabulous way to use them. And your shaker card is beautiful too. Have a lovely WOYWW and a great week. Elizabeth x #45

J said...

Oh I used to love playing with iron filings at school, who knew you could use them on a card

Jan S no 55

Anonymous said...

Your cards really look like great fun! Cool!
Cheers
Gabriele 29

505whimsygirl said...

What a cool idea to use the iron flakes in a card. I bet it's a hit with kids! I love the patterned paper; like you, I have a BUNCH!!

Happy WOYWW
Peace, Kay (14)

Tertia said...

Really fun cards. Wish I had that much room on my desk to work on.
Happy WOYWW!
Tertia #41

Unknown said...

Such a pretty card! Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #54

Amy E said...

Loving your projects! And isn't it nice to have a big clear space on your desk? Now you can fill it up with a new project!

Happy WOYWW!
Amy E. #8
Scrapthissavethat.com

Julia Dunnit said...

I recognised the iron filings immediately...and wondered where I could get embossing powder to look like that!!! I also love the stitched effect frame on that one. And I'm happy that you made it to the fair on time!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I feel a charity shop raid for old etch-a-sketches coming one. What a fun idea!
:)

Happy WOYWW! a little late
Mary Anne (1)

Anonymous said...

The filings are hilarious! I love the googly eyes on them!

Hugs
Brenda 53